A car ramp is a tool to raise or elevate cars above the ground level. Just like a motorcycle jack is used to raise the motorbike, Everyone wants the best car ramps in order raise the car safely.
Car is something that is a necessity in every household. It is a commodity that is required by everyone in order to be able to travel anywhere, anytime at your ease.
Owning a car ramp is just as important as owning a car if you want your vehicle to be fit and immaculate. The people who are passionate about their vehicles not only care about the exterior look of their cars but also about taking care of the interior. If you want to be able to access the undercarriage of your car to see the condition of engine or changing car oil etc., then a car ramp provides you a very easy method of doing it.
Since, going to a workshop isn’t always the easiest solution to opt for when in an emergency, you can save yourself the hassle by owning a car ramp at home. There are a lot of factors such as safety, durability, stability, etc. that need to be looked for when finding the best car ramp for your car.
This review will enable you to narrow down your options by listing the features of some very popular and best car ramps.
How Does a Best Car Ramp Look Like?
Unlike a motorcycle jack that has a single unit, car ramps come in pair to allow you to lift the front of car. Their underside is usually made of rubber to provide good grip and friction with the floor so that it doesn’t slip when you are underneath your car.
It also has rough upper surface to provide great rolling friction with the wheels. There is a handle on the side to allow you to lift the ramps. This is the basic built of a car ramp. Different companies construct them differently with added features to make their product unique.
Best Car Ramps of 2020:
As reviewed by the consumers, these following are some of the ramps that have been voted as the best car ramps for the year 2020:
Best Overall Picks
RhinoGear RhinoRamps Car Ramps:
Our top pick for the best car ramps of 2020 is RhinoGear RhinoRamp due to multiple reasons. Its sturdy look, durability, and rugged design are some of the features that instantly attract the customer. You don’t need to be a car expert to judge whether RhinoGear RhinoRamps are a good fit for your garage or not. Detailed key features are specifications are as follows:
- Suitable for wide tires
- Resin ramps
- Portable ramps with rugged design
- Easy to store
- Reliable, safe, and convenient access to the underside of your car
- Model: 11909ABMI
- Product weight: 19.2 lbs.
- CoreTRAC non-skid base to prevent slippage
- 12,000 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight capacity
- 17-degree incline
- Easy to store
- Unparalleled strength and balanced support
- Consumers complain that the ramps aren’t wide enough
Race Ramps 40-inch wide:
As evident from the name, race ramps RR-40 is specially designed for racing or sports cars. These were specially designed after asking from the sports cars owners themselves about how the best car ramps should look like. The results showed that sports cars owners want sleek and sturdy ramps that are easy to carry and store. Hence, such ramps were created which are 40-inch wide for wide tires of racing cars.
- Light weight
- Easy to carry
- Won’t slip or skid- even on ice
- Ideal for sports cars like stock Miatas, BMWs, Jaguars, some of the older Corvettes, cars with short noses, and more
- Solid core
- Model: RR-40
- Product weight: 8.49 lbs.
- Weight-lifting capacity: 1500 lbs. per ramp and 6500 lbs. per set
- Maximum tire width: 8 -inch
- Angle of approach: 16.7 degrees
- Easy to carry and maneuver, won’t scratch your floors
- Durable material can endure the toughest treatment
- Low density
Trailer Aid Tandem Best Car Ramps:
Usually, the ramps are designed for normal cars, or sports cars, or even trucks. Very few companies pay heed to design ramps for other vehicles like trailers etc. However, Trailer Aid decided to also include trailers to the list of automobiles that require ramps for maintenance. Product features are specifications are as follows:
- Specially designed for trailers
- Made of very strong polymer
- Easy to carry and store
- Rear slow and front holes
- Light weight
- Model: 22
- Weight: 5.89 lbs.
- Weight-lifting capacity: 15000 lbs.
- 4 ½ inch clearance
- Robust polymer construction
- Specially designed for trailers
- Heavy weight-lifting capacity
- Robust and high-quality construction
- Suitable for tandem trailer
- Not suitable for all types of trailers, always check before buying
Nicky Nice Solid Steel Car Ramp Set
Nicky nice ramps are steel made which give them a sleek and shiny look, they are reasonably priced and have holes for extra safety. Following are further details:
- Steel built
- Powder coated for prolonged use
- Safe to use
- Model: 612944
- Weight: 32 lbs.
- Weight-lifting capacity: 2000 lbs. per ramp and 6500 lbs. for both ramps
- 35 inches’ long
- Raised safety ribs on sides
- Steel built
- Long life
- Added safety features
- A little heavier than others
Scepter 08226 Automotive Ramp Set:
Being such lightweight, it seems quite surprising that Scepter 08226 Plastic Automotive Ramp can lift a high weight of 12000 lbs. Medium-sized sedans can be lifted very easily. The grid design allows snow, dirt, and water, etc. to fall through making it suitable to be used in any type of weather.
- Core parabolic arch runs through center of ramp
- Provides good support
- Properly distributed weight
- Model: 08226
- Product weight: 20.2 lbs.
- Weight capacity: 12000 lbs.
- 9.8 -inch X 35 inch
- Able to lift heavy weight
- Perfect angle and height distribution
- Difficult to work with low clearance vehicles
Discount Ramps 6009-V2 Low Profile Plastic Car Service Ramp
These plastic pair of ramps are designed keeping lower sports cars in mind, this is shown by their low profiles. Hence, their little smaller weight-lifting capacity is justified as well.
- Low profile best car ramps
- Used for servicing or displaying cars
- Plastic made
- Long-term moisture build-up is prevented by heavy duty honeycomb design
- Model: 6009-V2
- Product weight: 9.2 lbs.
- Lift height: 2.5 inch
- 9.05 loading degree
- Maximum weight-lifting capacity: 4400 lbs.
- Tire stops with formed grooves for wheels
- Measures 27-1/2″ L x 7-3/4″ W x 2-1/2″ H
- Easy incline for low clearance vehicles
- Honeycomb channels to prevent moisture buildup
- Tire-stop ends with a formed wheel groove
- Only suitable for cars with low profiles e.g. sports cars
Magnum 1002-01 Automotive Ramp System
This 4-piece ramp system was designed specially keeping the environment in mind. Thus, they are more than just a pair of ramps. Just like their well-made gaskets, Magnum have put a lot of effort in designing such strong and durable car ramps with extra safety. These do not require to be assembled. Further features are as follows:
- Easy to store
- 4-piece detachable parts
- Easy drive up ramp
- No tools necessary
- Environment friendly
- Model: 1002-01
- Product weight: 17 lbs.
- Safety chock included
- Weight-lifting capacity: 16000 lbs.
- Easily detachable
- Not wide enough
Race Ramps RR-EX-14 67” Xtender
Usually, car ramps have steep design and a higher angle of incline to lift the car to a significant height above the ground. Those aren’t suitable for cars with low profile designs. The purpose of this extender is to lift the low ground clearance cars without any damage or hassle. You can place these extender ramps above your 56- or 67- inch race ramps and its 6.6-degree angle of approach will smoothly lift your car to the highest platform. Its solid core provides your car a stable platform to climb onto.
- Car ramp extender
- Solid core
- Prevents slippage
- Ideal for very low profile or low clearance cars
- Lowers the angle to make it easier for very low sports cars
- Model: RR-EX-14
- Product weight: 5.95 lbs.
- Angle of approach: 6.6 degrees
- 12-inch wide track
- Solid built
- Non-hollow surface
- Specially designed to prevent skidding or slippage
- It is a race ramp extender, not a race ramp itself
Black Widow PSR-295 Black Plastic Service Ramps
Black Widow is especially suitable for larger vehicles like SUVs, trucks, vans, and large sedans etc. and gives them a lift of up to 7 inches. Its extra durability allows even very heavy vehicles to be lifted without any threats or damages. Its internal support mechanism distributes the weight evenly throughout the ramps. Its grid pattern provides stability and secure support by providing maximum rolling friction. It has grooves and is very wide to allow you to maintain your care safely.
- Especially designed for larger vehicles
- Grid design for secure grip
- Prevents skidding or slippage
- High-impact plastic construct
- Model: PSR295
- Weight: 19 lbs.
- Feet made of rubber to provide maximum friction with the ground
- Lift height: 7 inches
- Capable of lifting 16000 lbs. weight
- Easily lifts large vehicles
- balanced weight distribution
- Provides a very stable platform to lift cars
- heavier than other ramps
Tomioka Racing Super Slopes Car Ramps
Tomioka does a pretty decent job of lifting your sports cars up to a gentle incline of 3 inches. Low profile sports cars require extra effort while getting lifted from the ground and without lowered car ramps, it become risky to try to elevate the sports cars. But Tomioka makes this a non-hazardous task. With its plastic built and lightweight, and still carrying the ability to lift heavy weight, Tomioka super slopes ramps are the last ones in our list of best car ramps for 2020.
- Designed especially for racing cars
- Plastic construction
- Two ramps per set
- Model: Slope
- Ramps weigh 7.95 lbs.
- Raise cars up to 3 inches
- Product dimensions: 29 x 3 x 8 inches
- Especially built for extra gentle incline
- Very short weight-lifting height
How to Use Car Ramps Properly?
Though elevating your vehicle using ramps seems like an easy task, it is in fact easier said than done. One minor mistake could result in serious consequences for your car or yourself. Thus, it is important to first learn the correct way of elevating your vehicle before starting to use ramps at home. Following is a step-by-step guide to teach you how to use car ramps:
- Park your car on a non-inclined surface
- Make sure neither the car tires nor the ramps surfaces are wet
- Adjust/ assemble your car ramps, if they consist of multiple parts, their packaging must have the instructions to assemble them-make sure to follow all those instructions carefully
- Position the ramps in a way that their inclined side is facing the front of car
- The ramps must be aligned with the car wheels
- Drive your car up the inclined surface of the ramps until your reach the other end of ramps
- Use parking gear as well as pull hand brakes to stabilize the car and prevent it from skidding
- Use wheel chocks for extra safety
Some Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Car Ramps:
Every car owner is enthusiastic about taking care of their cars, be it a luxury sports car, a travelling SUV, or an everyday use Sedan. Proper car maintenance benefits the owners themselves in the long run in the form of longer engine life, smooth running, longer tire life, etc. However, not everyone has the access to workshops and not everyone is satisfied with the service that workshops provide.
Thus, it is important for car owners to learn basic maintenance skills themselves to avoid the hassle of running to workshops every time a minor inconvenience happens. Here we have answered some commonly asked questions regarding best car ramps. We hope they give you the answers you are seeking:
Question: How long should the ramps be?
Answer: The length of ramps depends on your desired vertical height. If you want your vehicle to be lifted to a significant height from the ground, your car ramps will also be longer consequentially.
Question: How much the ramps should weigh?
Answer: There are numerous car ramps available in the market with varying weight-lifting capacity. Before buying one, estimate the size of your vehicle and add 150-200kg to it as margin for fuel and operator, etc. The ramps available in the markets and online have their weight-lifting capacity listed as product specification on their packaging.
Question: What should be the maximum height that my vehicle is elevated to?
Answer: The height depends upon your choice of vehicle. Larger vehicles like SUVs, trucks, etc. require taller lift while sports cars etc. require only a gentle incline.
How should the surface of car ramps look like?
Answer: Since the ramps would be working against gravity to elevate your car, make sure their surface is rough to provide maximum rolling friction to the car wheels. It would be even better if they have a grid design for even rougher look.
Question: How do I secure the ramps safely?
Answer: The standard way of securing the ramps is the rest on connection with a drilled hole for safety pins or hooks. This method safely secures the ramps positioning.